85 years ago the Soviet Union authorities committed genocide, which is the most serious international crime against Ukrainian nation. During a long time, survived Ukrainians were forbidden to speak about Holodomor, to honor the memory about their relatives, and even to mention their names. But the truth and remembrance about Holodomor has always lived in their hearts and in the hearts of the next populations.
Now, when Ukraine is an independent state, it is our civic duty to properly honor the memory of 7 million innocently killed Ukrainians in 1932–1933. Every Memorial Day for Holodomor Victims reminds us about the responsibility for not to allow the hatred and genocide in the future and to defend human dignity, rights and freedoms.
National Museum “Holodomor Victims Memorial”, which is the center of commemorating the memory of Holodomor victims and the only national museum about the history of genocide against Ukrainians, prepared educational, exhibition and scientific projects to the 85th anniversary of Holodomor-genocide of 1932–1933.
- On 1 September 2018 the international action “Let`s light a candle of memory!” in the Hall of Memory began.
- On 1 September 2018 the museum has presented the photo-documental exhibition “Stolen Childhood. Children during Holodomor of 1932-1933”. The exhibition tells about the life, survival and vicissitudes of children in cities and villages during Holodomor of 1932-1933.
- On 12 September 2018 the exhibition “Holodomor-genocide in the language of numbers” was opened and the collection of materials of International Conference “Man-made starvations in Ukraine in the XX century” was presented.
- On 14 September 2018 in the Hall of Memory candidate of medical sciences Andriy Kis will read the lecture “Forbidden Truth”. Andriy Kis conducted forensic medical examination during the investigation of criminal proceeding №475 on the fact of committing the crime of genocide in Ukraine 1932-1933.
- On 18 September 2018 the presentation of an art exhibition “The genocide of Ukrainians. Holodomor” by Sabatino Scia will be held.
- On October 5, 2018 the presentation of the exhibitions, created by the National Museum “Holodomor Victims Memorial”, “Executed by Starvation: Unknown Genocide of Ukrainians” and “The Starveling Symphony” in the Muzeul Municipiului Bucuresti.
- On October 13, 2018 National Museum “Holodomor Victims Memorial” will take part in the scientific colloquium, which will be held in Dusseldorf, Germany. The event is devoted to the 85th anniversary of Holodomor-genocide.
- On October 17, 2018 in the Hall of Memory the meeting with Nina Heyko, the witness of the artificial starvation of 1946-1947.
- On October 17, 2018 the exhibitions, created by National Museum ‘Holodomor Victims Memorial’, “We Were Killed, Because We Were Ukrainians” and “Executed by Starvation: Unknown Genocide of Ukrainians” will be displayed on Marienplatz, the central square of Munich. The organized of the event is the General Consulate of Ukraine in Munich.
- On October 19, 2018 the Memorial Plague to the Holodomor victims will be opened in village Myrivka of Kaharlyk district of Kyiv oblast. The event will take place on the territory of the old cemetery (Narodna street). Beginning at 11:00.
- On October 23, 2018, Mykhailo Kotsiubinskyi Vinnytsia State Pedagogical University, Illia Mechnykov Odesa National University, and Anton Makarenko Sumy State Pedagogical University will pass the testimonies of the eyewitnesses of Holodomor, kept in the archives of the universities, to the museum.
- On October 25, 2018, the lecture of Viktor Skavronik, the Candidate of Historical Sciences, the judge of Kyiv Court of Appeal. It was Viktor Skavronik who agreed to pass and proclaim the resolution of Kyiv Court of Appeal on January 12, 2010, while the President Viktor Yanukovych denied Holodomor-genocide.
- On November 8, 2018 in Holodomor Victims Memorial the meeting with the Ilko Korunets, the eyewitness of Holodomor, will be held.
- On November 8, 2018 the presentation of the project “The Train of Ukrainian Identity” will be held jointly with the Municipal Enterprise “Kyiv Metropolitan”.
- The presentation of the English version Proceedings of the International Scientific-Educational Working Conference “Genocide-Holodomor 1932–1933: The Losses of the Ukrainian Nation” (Kyiv: 4 October 2016) jointly with the Hennadii Udovenko Diplomatic Academy of Ukraine at the Ministry of Foreigh Affairs of Ukraine. The venue: Hennadii Udovenko Diplomatic Academy of Ukraine at the Ministry of Foreigh Affairs of Ukraine (2 Velyka Zhytomyrska Street, Kyiv).
- On November 19, 2018 National Museum “Holodomor Victims Memorial” together with the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine will held the seminar “Methodology of Teaching the Theme of Holodomor in School. Forms and Means of Organization of Training” for heads of departments of education, school principals, methodologists and teachers of the history of institutions of general and secondary education in Kyiv.
- On November 21, 2018, the Round Table Discussion “Problems of the Holodomor-Genocide and Commemorative Practices in Ukraine and the World” will be held.
- On November 22, 2018 the presentation of the most complete scientific work on the topic of the Holodomor-Genocide by Professor Vasyl Marochko “Encyclopedia of the Holodomor” will be held. Joint action with PJSC “Ukrposhta” on repayment of the envelope with the original mark devoted to the 85th anniversary of the Holodomor also will take place.
- On November 22-23, 2018 the International Forum “Ukraine Remembers – the World Acknowledges!” devoted to the 85th anniversary of the Holodomor of 1932-1933 in Ukraine will take place at Ukrainian House https://85holodomor.in.ua)
- November 24, 2018 is Memorial Day for Holodomor-Genocide victims. Grieving activities at the Holodomor Victims Memorial with the participation of the President of Ukraine, the first persons of the state, the public and the clergy. At 16:00, the All-Ukrainian Action “Let’s Light a Candle of Memory!”, commemorating the 7 million victims of the genocide, will be started.
- On December 6, 2018 Volodymyr Vasylenko, professor, doctor of legal sciences, lawyer-internationalist, will read the lecture to the 70th anniversary of the adoption of the UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide.
You ca get information about the future events and meetings with Holodomor witnesses on the Museum`s web: http://memorialholodomor.org.ua
In addition, museum offers interactive excursions and lessons about the history of Holodomor, different workshops.
Commemoration of the Memory Day can have different forms. Choose your own way to honor the memory of Holodomor victims and become the part of nationwide effort.
- To deliver to the museum the testimonies of people, who survived during Holodomor, the places of graves of Holodomor victims, children’s shelters in 1932-1933 and the names of Holodomor victims.
- Each organization can temporarily exhibit one of the Holodomor victims Memorial exhibitions.
- To join the Memorial Day for Holodomor Victims on November 24, 2018 in the National Museum “Holodomor Victims Memorial” as a volunteer.
- To help the museum to share information about Holodomor: “Like ” our page on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, share information about Holodomor and Museum and about your own Holodomor commemoration events with hashtags #Голодомор #Holodomor #Голодомор85 #Holodomor85, #МузейГолодомору #holodomorMuseum
In order to prepare your events for 85th anniversary commemoration we recommend to use the materials from Holodomos Victims Memorial web: