Conference “The Role of Culture and Religion in Peacebuilding”
On July 15, the conference “The Role of Culture and Religion in Peacebuilding” was held, organized by ICF Caritas Ukraine. Several webinars were held as part of the event, including “Museums as the language of historical memory and the treatment of collective trauma.”
The representative and speaker from the National Museum of the Holodomor Genocide was Iryna Batyrieva — First Deputy Director General, PhD in History, ethnologist. Research interests: ethnology and cultural anthropology, local lore, museum studies, oral history.
The webinar covered the following important issues:
- Presentation of traumatic events in museums, their impact on the present;
- How important is the understanding of events and their redefinition;
- What message do employees convey to visitors;
- How it affects people and stereotypes;
- Trauma and memory: how to transmit without injuring;
- How to present a story while healing;
- Where to look for historical truth;
- Objective coverage or propaganda and a positive image;
- How to cover historical events so that they serve to unite society.
The meeting was moderated by Olena Sushii, Doctor of Science in Public Administration, PhD in Philosophy, Head of the Laboratory of Methodology of Psychosocial and Political-Psychological Research of the Institute of Social and Political Psychology of the National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine, and Olia Kukharuk, psychotherapist and political psychology researcher at the Institute of Social and Political Psychology of the National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine.
The speakers of the webinar were also:
Anton Drobovych — Chairman of the Ukrainian Institute of National Memory;
Ihor Poshyvailo — Director of the National Memorial Complex of Heroes of the Celestial Hundred — Museum of the Revolution of Dignity.
Viacheslav Zaitsev — employee of the Khortytsia National Reserve
Natalia Bulanova — director of the Museum of History of Kamyanske
Yaroslav Koretchuk — director of the Ivano-Frankivsk Regional Museum of the Liberation Struggle named after S. Bandera.
The full video of the webinar can be viewed at the link.